2 hens losing their neck feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RisingSpring, Feb 7, 2013.

1. RisingSpring

RisingSpring Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Northwestern PA
    i have two australorp hens that are suddenly developing bare necks. i just noticed this in the last 2 days. we have 14 hens total and 1 rooster. they are free range. even in the cold of winter they go out a little bit, and when there is too much snow they have roam all around the barn and are not in their coop all day. there is no fighting or pecking. their food and water is easily accessible; that was my first thought that they might be sticking their heads through something or rubbing against something to cause feather loss, but i can't imagine what it would be.

any other thoughts? what could be causing this?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Does the rooster seem to favor these 2 hens?

3. RisingSpring

RisingSpring Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Northwestern PA
    i don't believe so. but i am not out there all day so maybe i am not seeing this. its not the top of their necks though, where the rooster might grab on, its the underside..?

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    You could have a case of feather pickers.

5. mikkles

mikkles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2013
    MN
    Is it usual for chickens to pick the undersides of each other's necks? (sorry if this is a dumb question..I'm a Very new chicken keeper!)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  6. SansoniaHenDept

SansoniaHenDept New Egg

Jul 27, 2012
    I have the same problem with mine. Started with one, and now there are two (out of 7) that have this bare neck situation. Just the underside. Mine are not free range, but have a really big coop and really big run. No rooster. At first I thought it was stress because they had a tiny bit of frostbite from the Jan cold weather stretch (single digits for ages) but they seem to have bounced back very well from that and are healing. Now, just the feather mystery. Any feedback would be great. I was reading other posts about mites- is that an issue during winter? (this is our first year with chickens)
    thought I would put my two cents in. thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by