2 hens no drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dro554bd, Oct 15, 2013.

1. dro554bd

dro554bd New Egg

Oct 15, 2013
    So I have 2 hen mallards that hatched 06/06/13. They stay in my yard and everything but what im wondering is will wild drakes breed my hens in the spring. And do you need a drake for the hens to lay eggs because they have not layed any yet.. thank you josh

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

Good question. We had all girls until one year ago, and the only interest from wild males was a turkey who hung around checking out the runners for a day or three. He never ventured into the pen.

And no wild drakes have shown up.

I have read a few stories of mallards joining a domestic flock temporarily, though.

The probability is low, I think.

And ducks (girls) will lay eggs without a drake. In fact, some drakes are so rough with mating that they will keep a duck from laying. That's not a good situation.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG]

Well, if they are on a pond where wild ducks come, anything is possible. As for in general, likely no. We have geese fly overhead often, even mallards fly over, we have an abundance of wild turkey's here too, none come near my flock and i don't think the addition of my drakes has much to do with that, as at a distance it would be hard to tell, being mostly Muscovy they are practically mute.

Mind you i do think your set-up plays a role, if your constantly bombarded with wild ducks on your property and have many ponds/rivers etc that will most definitely increase your chances of your domestic birds meeting up with wild ones. I lack that here, the turkey's generally keep a distance and my ducks pay no mind to their presence.

As Amiga said, you do not need a drake for them to lay eggs, egg laying will carry on regardless, they just won't be fertile however.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by