2 Hens Not Laying... What Would YOU Do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by poseygrace, Jul 5, 2011.

1. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I bought 2 hens (BLRWs) on May 1st, so over 2 months ago. I bought them from a nearby reputable hatchery. I was told they were 18 months old. They both laid a single egg their first day with me, and haven't laid since. They have a great life, nice coop, nice run, free ranging all day, getting treats, etc. Let me say I KNOW they aren't laying. The eggs aren't getting eaten by predators, and they aren't hiding them. I know this because I am out there with them pretty much all day, watching what they do. I have two other good layers, and I see them laying every day and collect the eggs. They are free ranging in my small backyard, so hiding ain't happening.

I really can't justify keeping hens that aren't laying. Would you hold on to them a bit longer, and chalk the non-laying up to the heat, stress, etc? Or should I, um, "say goodbye" and get some more reliable layers? Just looking for advice/input. Anyone heard of hens going this long without laying due to a move? [​IMG]

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Did they stress molt when you brought them home? They may still be replacing feathers.

Do you like them otherwise? If so, I might be inclined to give them a bit more time...but how red are the combs?

3. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    I brought a chicken home from my parents that had a hurt leg. She is doing much better and barely limps now. It's been about a month since she's been at my place. My husband has become attached to her, so we are going to keep her. He's named her Mama - she's a Blue Andalusian and she is very tame and squats for my husband. We couldn't figure out why she hasn't started laying again. Well, today my husband found a huge nest of eggs behind some flowering bushes in the yard! She's the only white egg layer, so we know they are hers.
    Maybe your hens are laying outside somewhere since they free range?

4. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:I would let this be my guide. If they are likable hens, give them more time. If you aren't atatched just eat them now.

5. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    They did go through a light molt, maybe that was it? I do like them, they are really pretty BLRWs. See pic of one of them below. Does she look like she is 18 months or so to ya'll? Maybe they'll get it kicked into gear soon!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by