2 hens, same age, same breed, raised the same: which is laying? (PICS)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We got 2 SLW hens as 2 week old chicks many months ago. We've been waiting on eggs for a while.

Both are the same age, same breed, raised the same way. One is laying and one is not. It is pretty obvious who the layer is:

Hen 1:
    [​IMG]

Hen 2:
    [​IMG]

The picture doesn't do hen2 justice. Her comb and wattles are so blood red it is amazing... especially when compared to her sister.

Anywho, I thought you'd like to see the stark difference between the two.

2. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    just curious, how old are they?

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Obviously from different sets of parents LOL. We have two RIRs and two BRs that have done the same thing, developed at way different rates. Totally amazing, isn't it??

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I'll take a stab and say Hen2 is the one laying. Around here, the one whose comb and wattles didn't develop as quickly as the others didn't start laying for more than month after all the others had started.

5. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I will guess at hen 2 aldo she appears a bit puffy and mine are like that, unless it was very cold when you took the pic.
    Also the comb developement.

Do like I did when I couldn't figure it out, I waited and watched, I hung by the window and when she went into the coop I went outside and checked on here, sure enough she was the unexpected one. It took some patirnce but it was worth it to find out. I answered allot of questions.

[​IMG]

6. Nifty-Chicken

It was more of a rhetorical question. The 2nd hen is most definitely the one that is laying. Her bright red and well developed comb and wattles clearly call out the fact that she's way more "mature" than her sister.

I just hope her sister can catch up soon... we've been forced to eat store eggs the last 2 months.

7. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    That's quite a difference!!

Now Nifty-Chicken, please be kind to poor Hen #1. No young girl wants to be the last one of all her friends to, er, "mature"!

[​IMG]

8. Nifty-Chicken

They were hatched 6/9.

skatcatla, thanks for the wise counsel. I know how sensitive some hens can be about when they mature. [​IMG]

9. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Sorry you've had to buy eggs.
    I haven't had a store bought egg around here in probably 4 months now, and hopefully I'll never have to have another one of those dreaded things here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by