2 hens trying to mother chicks

specialized7

Hatching
Aug 8, 2015
Saskatoon
HI everyone.

Ok so it was going all good getting eggs everyday until we noticed one hen wouldn't get out of the nest.
Other hens would lay eggs in her nest and I thought oh well I guess we will have chicks. So anyways I labelled the eggs she was sitting on and a week later another hen started to go broody.
When the original hen would come outside this new broody hen would roll eggs over to her nest (side x side).
There were 9 eggs total split between the 2 nests.
So there both sitting there for 25 days and the first chick hatched... On the new broody hens side. Then half hour later 2 hatch on the original broody hens side.
I let the chicks dry and took them in for inspection/pictures haha.
Anyways I put them back and they all went to the original broody hens nest. She took them all in under her wing.
BUT... The new broody hen now left her eggs and is jammed in the nest with original broody hen and the 3 chicks???
What do I do? Take her out and put her back on the remaining eggs? She stole them in the first place lol
The original broody hen still has 2 under her.

Ok well they seem to be Co mothering. The chicks mainly stick with the black hen she's the boss.
But they switch sides all the time and if one goes out of the coop the chicks go to the other hen and vice versa.
Should I just let them be then?
Them all seem to get alonggood. Even the rooster goes in to check out the chicks haha.
Only issue I have is the rooster goes in there and eats the chick food.

For some reason now they moved to the middle of the coop. And left the remaining eggs. 2 more hatched and only 3 eggs remain. I put the one hen ontop of them and she stayed there for now.
I hope she stays there.

Back
Top Bottom