2 hens with bleeding vents

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whalvo, Feb 3, 2017.

1. whalvo

whalvo New Egg

May 2, 2011
    We have 6 hens, all about 9 months old. A few days ago we found our speckled sussex huddled in the corner of the coop and blood in the nest box. Her vent was bloody and she was missing a lot of feathers around her lower abdomen. We figured she was having issues passing an egg (she has yet to lay any), so we isolated her, cleaned her up, and gave her some crumbled toasted eggshell for calcium. Within a day she seemed much better; no egg, but she was pooping and eating fine and seemed rather perky. We thought the problem was solved

Today we found more blood in the nest box and our Easter egger is now bleeding from the vent. She has also never laid an egg. I've put her downstairs with the speckled sussex and now I have no clue what is going on. I did some research and found the possible causes of bleeding vent include prolapse (unlikely), coccidiosis, and vent pecking. I would go ahead and treat for coccidiosis, but the two bleeding birds don't seem sick.

Any idea how I can tell what the problem is?

THANKS!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Sounds like classic vent picking going on - you need to identify the culprit, address any potential underlying causes (example - how are the birds housed, what are the dimensions of the space they are in, what is their diet, what is their daily activity like) and allow the two injured birds to heal completely before re-integrating them back to the flock to avoid further picking at the exposed/wounded area.

3. whalvo

whalvo New Egg

May 2, 2011
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by