2 hour car ride with baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickmama320, Jun 7, 2011.

1. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    So when I got my chickies yesterday I forgot that I am going 2 hours away to my parent's and won't be back till Thursday. So I figure that they need to come with me. Will they be okay for the trip? Should I take their water out while in the car? I don't want it to spill and wet their bedding.

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    If you have a brooder set up, and the temperatures are stable, I would just leave them home. Perhaps have a neighbor peek in on them if you are worried. Depending on how many chicks you got, water/food should last until you get home. The stress of the travel would be good to avoid, especially if they are 'day olds.' Good luck!

3. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    I have 5. The hen's are abou 5 days old. The roo is a little bit older... taller and has more feathers on his wings. I got them the plastic waterer and feeders that are the plastic container with plastic base. 1/2 liter maybe. I was just worried since I won't be able to change/clean the water. I'd rather not bring them if they will be safe at home.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Honestly, I would totally leave them home to avoid stress. I have 4 - 2 week old chicks and I fill up their water every 3-4 days.. they just don't drink all that much. Food is the same way. As long as your temperature is stable and there is no worry of water being knocked over, leave them home. [​IMG]

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I bought mine, a 5 hour drive home....I had water and kept the heat in the car high to keep them warm, they did great...but if you can leave them home, do so...it's too stressful for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by