1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 ill chickens in young flock - help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vjreilly, Oct 3, 2013.

1. vjreilly

vjreilly Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Hello,
    I have 15 pullets and one rooster that I received from McMurry Hatchery in early August - they are all now about 8 weeks old. Everyone seemed fine until about 4 days ago when I noticed one chick having trouble walking and seeming lethargic but still eating and drinking. I looked her over but see nothing noticable that would make me believe her to be ill or injured.
    These chicks were all supposed to be vaccinated by McMurray's. Now this morning I noticed one with bloody poo. She also seems to be sitting down more. I am worried about giving medication because they specifically told me to fee NON medicated chick fee and I have done that and am now feeding non medicated flock builder not layer pellets.
    Everyone else seems fine but I do not know what to do, I do not have an avian vet anywhere near where I am located.
    Any help would be great. Should I get some Corrid (sp) and give it even though they have been vaccinated for Merks and Corricidosis (sp). Will it hurt them to be given this medication if they are already vaccinated. Should I just give it to the ones who seem sick, and then think that they were left out of the vaccinations. I really don't want to cull them if they can be saved.
    Thank you all. Sorry for my spelling mistakes
    VIcki Reilly

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think I would give them a call to double check that they were vaccinated for both diseases. If there is just a small trace of blood, that might not mean anything, but the lethargy is not good. Usually with cocci they tend to not eat, sit puffed up, sleepy with ruffled feathers, and have diarrhea. If they are having more than a bit of blood in the stools I would think they didn't get the vaccine.

3. vjreilly

Dec 26, 2010
    Thank you for writing. I called McMurray this morning and didn't get much information. I just sent them an email asking for varification that my chicks were vaccinated. The one who is lathargic and seems to have trouble walking is not the one who passed the bloody stool. The one who seems not right for the past 4 days is eating and drinking water but just not moving around much. I am thinking I should give them medication but don't know if it will hurt them if they have been vaccinated.
    Thank you again,
    Vicki

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't have experience with the coccidiosis vaccine, but have read on here that you shouldn't use Corid if they have been. I can't believe they can't tell you over the phone--it should be on your order form, and if you get online with your account, it should say. You could try some vitamins on the chicks that aren't walking or getting around well. PolyVisol baby vitamins (no iron) are good 2 drops by mouth, or you can use chick vitamins in the water. Some come with electrolytes as well. Maybe you can purchase some Corid, and just have it on hand, then return it if you don't use it.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If you are seeing bloody poop,and you have determined it is not intestinal lining,then i would treat for Coccidiosis. Most vaccines only include the most common strains of Eimeria. Not all vaccines target all 9 strains of Cocci,i have found that most of the vaccines target between 3-6 strains,there is one that does include 8. The 9th strain is questionable b/c it is not really recognized as being a valid strain,but it does exist. This being the case,it is possible that the strain you have is one that is not included in your vaccine. Cocci does kill very fast. Some symptoms of cocci are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,general look of unwell. It may also be that the vaccine did not take.

6. vjreilly

Dec 26, 2010
    I looked at my order invoice from McMurray and we paid for them to be vaccinated. I was just trying to confirm that there was not a slip up and maybe they were not vaccinated, but have not heard back, and I do not think they will be able to tell me if they were not. The only thing that makes me wonder what this is that the hen that is not acting "right" is still eating and drinking and does not seem to have watery poop. The one who had the bloody poop this morning now seems to be fine. So, I am back to not knowing what to do. I think I will just watch them for a bit longer before I give anything. The rest of the flock seems fine. How do I determine if the blood in the poop is intestinal lining and what does that mean. is that a normal occurrance?? Thanks everyone for the information.
    Vicki

7. vjreilly

Dec 26, 2010
    Just wanted to also add that I gave them "Quick Chick" since they first arrived at age 2 days. They finished the whole package of Quick Chick which I think is a vitamin mix.

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Intestinal lining is normal,it is red/stringy you will notice it in their poop. Search for intestinal lining so you will know what it is for future reference. Blood in poop looks like blood,once you see the difference you will understand what i am explaining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by