2 injured chicks- both pecked on neck, one pecked on wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenGirl 19, Sep 19, 2014.

1. ChickenGirl 19

ChickenGirl 19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    I have two injured three week old chicks. They, their two siblings, and their broody Trudy have been in the flock for a week. Today I went down to find two bloodied up chicks.

The first has a large peck to its neck down to the muscle. It has a flap of skin hanging on by about four millimetres.[​IMG][​IMG]

The other has a peck to it's neck that has healed and a flap of skin on its wing pulled up and very swollen.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I did my best to clean the wounds. They are being brought inside and are going to have super booster added to their water.[​IMG][​IMG]

Is there anything else I should do or shouldn't do?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. ChickenGirl 19

ChickenGirl 19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Another thing I forgot to mention: on the chicken with the injured wing on the same side of her face her eyelid is a bit droopy. Her other is is normal and round, but on that side it looks almond shaped .

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cleaning with weak betadine or hibiclens, then applying an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin daily would be best. A fence dividing the new broody and her chicks from the flock for a week or two, where they can see each other, would help to integrate the flocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by