2 injured hens

Kimcarlos

Hatching
Apr 27, 2022
A dog got to my girls yesterday! One passed and 2 others injured. One has some pretty bad wounds on the back and the other can’t put weight on one of her legs. For the wounds they sent me with silvadene and for the hurt leg they said they couldn’t feel any breaks but without an X-ray hard to tell! Any other advice on what to do to speed up recovery? Especially for the one with the injured leg! I’m worried it won’t heal.

Who is "they"? Have the wounds been flushed clean? You need to clean the wounds every day, and keep the Solvadene on the wounds all the time in between.

The leg injuries will just need time to see if they will heal.

Who is "they"? Have the wounds been flushed clean? You need to clean the wounds every day, and keep the Solvadene on the wounds all the time in between.

The leg injuries will just need time to see if they will heal.
They is the vet, and thanks. Didn’t give me much advice on the hurt leg. Just they’d be concerned if she didn’t bear weight in 3 days. Wondering if 3 days is enough to make that assessment or if longer time could be necessary.

On the chance that the leg issues have been triggered by shock from the attack, I suggest treating for shock and see if it improves her leg function.

Give her either Gatoraid for the rest of today or mix up some electrolytes with an extra spoon full of sugar.

On the chance that the leg issues have been triggered by shock from the attack, I suggest treating for shock and see if it improves her leg function.

Give her either Gatoraid for the rest of today or mix up some electrolytes with an extra spoon full of sugar.
Thanks! That was actually my first guess and have been treating accordingly. I wonder if that could just effect one leg tho?

Yes, shock can affect one leg, or both, and also balance and gait. Sugar is one of the best things to treat shock, as it works directly on the brain and nervous system. Electrolytes also stabilize the body chemistry.

Yes, shock can affect one leg, or both, and also balance and gait. Sugar is one of the best things to treat shock, as it works directly on the brain and nervous system. Electrolytes also stabilize the body chemistry.
I hope that’s it! I have offered electrolytes. Should I also do sugar water? What’s the ratio?

Back
Top Bottom