2 juvenile sexlinks having leg issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jammersgirl, Apr 3, 2018.

1. jammersgirl

jammersgirl In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    These were hatched the last week of January. The 2 biggest chickens in the group of 40. Yesterday, I noticed one hen was having trouble walking, one foot was buckled under. Today, her sister is having the same issue. I have separated them from the flock.(1 yesterday and 1 today) I called the hatchery today, they have no information. They said they have never heard of a leg problem in sexlinks. I gave the first one rooster booster yesterday for the vitamin b, in case that is the problem. The 2 are together today, so other one is also drinking it. My question is, how long does it take to rule out a vitamin deficiency? I think it is strange the only 2 having issues are the same breed. They have all been together since hatching. I have never seen this before. Any suggestions would be great.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure your vitamins contain riboflavin. Riboflavin deficiency can cause curling under of the toes, and walking on the hocks. Rooster booster is a brand. If your are using NutriDrench, it does not contain riboflavin. Poultry Cell does, and Rooster Booster vitamins with Lactobacillus does also. Just read labels. Pictures of the feet can help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: