2 "ladies?"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TinyChickenLady, Aug 14, 2011.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two "girls" that are about a month old. I think they are RIR and Americauna but please correct me if I'm wrong. My bigger question is, are they actually ladies? I don't have to worry about any laws or anything but i don't want to give them the wrong names and cause an identity crisis LoL
    [​IMG]
    Dot is the darker one and Fluffy is the yellow one. This was from when they were a couple weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    This is them now, as of a few days ago.
    [​IMG]
    This is hopefully a better sideview of Dot.

If anyone has any guesses, I would gladly appreciate them.
    [​IMG] Thanks - Amber

2. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Neither one of your ladies looks like my rir did as a chick. One is too dark and other has a yellow head. My rir s were always shades of reddish brown to dark brown, but not quite that dark. I have heard there is a lighter shade of rir though?

I wish I could tell boy from girl at that age for you, but I'm just not that good! Good luck on avoiding any name confusion!

3. TinyChickenLady

Haha thanks for your help on that issue. She doesn't have a yellow head anymore. She's more of a copper, red color I guess. I thought the other one was and RIR but I have no idea. My neighbors got mixed eggs and hatched them. Then I hatched their eggs so they could be a whole new breed for all I know LoL

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

At 4-5 weeks, I'd guess the lighter one is a pullet. I really can't guess either way about the darker one though, although it sure has beautiful coloring! [​IMG]

5. cornfed80

cornfed80 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    poynor tx
    she look to me like she is part ameraucauna my guess is pullet though

6. cornfed80

cornfed80 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    poynor tx
    the other one seems to be a roo notice the larger comb other than that its just a guess as well

7. TinyChickenLady

Thank you Teach and Cornfed! That's exactly what I was thinking! That one is Fluffy by the way [​IMG] I know she would only be part Americauna because the rooster definately is NOT LoL I'll post a pic of him when I get a chance because he is BEAUTIFUL. And she acts like more of a lady than the other one, Dot. S/He does have pretty coloring but I can't figure out if it's a boy or girl. And the breed is just lost to me [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Yes, they both look girly. Your RIR looks identical to mine when she was that age.

9. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Whatever they are, dot and fluffy are cute! I especially love the feathering on the darker one, Dot? Gorgeous!

10. TinyChickenLady

Haha yes that's Dot. She loves attention [​IMG] They are both sweet birds. I'm guessing I was right with the breeds then..... hehe yay me! And I'm assuming Fluffy is a girl... And Dot might be either a flamboyant roo or a girl with an attitude LoL [​IMG] She does have a nice comb and chatters kinda funny. I'll post a pic of her comb soon. Thanks everyone for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by