2 Lame cockerels, bad feed, Mareks or Something else?

SheaLoner

Crowing
Feb 27, 2020
Upstate Ny
I had a nice whole write up on this particular issue and my browser glitched. Lost it all. I'm under quarantine have not been checking on the birds in person. They are housed at my Dads.
So 2 month old New Hampshire Cockerels. Monday 1 was laying down puffed up some. Would not/could not walk. Main flock had water, normal 18% feed. At some point got fed half a bucket old canned veggies.
Broke quarantine on Tue to inspect birds. Set up a sick pen for the downed bird. He ate and drank a lot. No visible wounds, comb tips were purplish and dry. No obvious leg injury, bird was laying with wings half spread, liquid poop, green in color not blocking the vent but caked.
One other bird showing odd symptoms. Lame in one leg, is using it but resting frequently. Previous injury to rear toenail on that foot, had treated with blue kote. Soaked washed and retreated again.
Wed. both still alive, no improvement. Lame bird now has runny bright yellow green poop, had been sitting in it. Not as active as on Tue. but still mobile.
I have a probiotic vitamin mix to give them tomorrow and will probably add acv to their soaked feed. Is there anything else I can do or try? I will not be making a vet visit for these birds, they are for meat not pet. And they were not vaccinated.

Vitamins and acv are good.
For general lethargy, I usually treat with Corid in case of coccidiosis. ACV will help but not cure.
For lameness, with no other symptoms, check if the leg is warm in case of a break or sprain. Check the foot pad for injuries/bumblefoot.

Vitamin deficiencies or Marek's are the other things I can think of for lameness. I would search for threads or articles on those, and also look at what the color of the droppings could mean here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

I am no expert but hopefully this sends you in the right direction and that they recover :fl

Back
Top Bottom