2 LATE HATCHERS, AIDED THEIR HATCH BUT THINK I LEFT IT TOO LATE TO HELP

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by j1koo, Aug 7, 2013.

1. j1koo

j1koo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Spain
    Hi, have read lots of helpful stuff on here with my first lot of incubated rare breeds. I live in Spain, but eggs came from England, and long story short but ended up traveling a bit too long before getting here and into incubator. Poor rate of hatching, 17 out of about 40 - put this down to late incubation and possible journey.

Anyway, my last 2 had started yesterday with not much progress. This morning no change, in hindsight should have aided them late last night I think. wrap warm damp cloth as both looked very dry. Got one out but he can't stand and neck it bent. Did read another post saying chicks can straighten out, but fear it was in egg too long and is now deformed.

Second one, which is a Light Sussex and I only have another 2 of, is much harder to get out of his shell, even though some parts of him are wetter than the other one. But there is also a jelly stuff in there - what is that? and there was what looks like poo in the shell - is that ok? Also, seems like he has the crooked neck problem. Very chirpy though.

Thoughts for this stressful novice that I am!!!

Many thanks

Eli

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Jelly stuff and poop are not unusual. And their necks may straighten as they become stronger.

3. j1koo

j1koo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Spain
    Thanks for the welcome!

The first one I helped has started to straighten, so it's promising.

The second one is struggling. Even though I managed to get most of the shell off, it's like the feathers on its back have hardened, and are restricting his movement. Do you think I should try and wet his back with warm water, or am taking more of a risk in doing that?

Many thanks

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, j1koo, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you with us!

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] sounds like the last one may be shrink wrapped, usually from low humidity. It does get hard and make thing difficult for the chick..Sometimes using a little soap & warm water will help you work it out. Then dry him off. Just be sure the chick is warm and doesn't get chilled.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by