2 Lavender Ameraucana x Dominique Roos in Southern Illinois

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by magpiebirdie, Aug 7, 2014.

1. magpiebirdie

magpiebirdie New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Do your girls need a couple of handsome fellas in their life? Are you breeding olive-eggers and searching for a gentleman with a blue/olive gene? Meet 'Muffed Roo' and 'Quiet Roo'.

[​IMG]

Both birds are approx. 14 weeks old and healthy. We are pretty sure they're Lavender Ameraucana x Dominique crosses; one has a lovely muff/beard + rose comb, the other has a nice rose comb. Barred hackles & saddles, lavender bodies. Both hatched from blue eggs, so mom was the Ameraucana. (Hatching eggs were given to us in April.)

We wish we could keep them because they have great personalities and are very well-mannered around people and kids. Unfortunately 3 teenage roosters were a little too much for our small flock of ladies so we kept one & have separated these boys in a bachelor pad where they are getting along well with one another. The muffed roo is the more dominant of the two, and crowing. They're sweet gents and used to free-ranging during the day; very alert.

We are willing to help with local transport within 3 hours of Southern Illinois (Western KY/Missouri boot heel/St. Louis)

We really don't want these two to go straight to a stew pot -- they're wonderful roos and deserve happy lives & flocks of their own. We talked about fattening them up for our freezer, but it seems a shame to waste the nice ones on chicken dinner. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. jjpigg06

jjpigg06 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    Are these boys till available? I recently lost one of my girls to a predator and was thinking a roo might add some protection. We had a RIR rooster that got too agressive with my 2 year old daughter, but it sounds like these boys have a sweeter temperment. Let me know. Thanks!

3. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    if the one with the muffs is still available, you should go for it. Both breeds are beautiful and very docile.

trying to help :) dont have barred rocks, but I have lavendars and they are amazing.
    also, the rooster is very cautious of flying birds... when he screetches, they all hide.

4. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Want!!!
    But I live in Pennsylvania.

5. magpiebirdie

magpiebirdie New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Yay jjpigg06! The rooster with the muff sounds like he would be a great match for your girls. He's getting lonely in his "bachelor pad", all dressed up and nowhere to crow, ha ha. He's filled out nicely; a big bird but a good temperament. I think he'd be safe with kids, he's very submissive around people. And he's pretty to look at!

Getting ready to send you a PM with all the happy details. [​IMG]

6. wirerat123

wirerat123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    Guntersville, AL
    Wow, if I wasn't waaaaay too far away I'd be all over the muffed roo, putting some lavender and barring into my already colorful bloodline Easter eggers would be cool. He is a gorgeous bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by