1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 laying hens ate some chick starter...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaybats, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I'm not sure just how much. I let the chicks out of the "transition" cage to mingle with the other girls for the first time today. I didn't think once, let alone twice, that there was still chick starter in the feed dish or that the layers would even bother to go into the cage. I went on with my routine and when I went to check on everybody, there they were pecking away at it!

It's medicated so now I'm worried about their eggs! Is there enough medication in the food to affect the eggs? Safe to eat? Oh boy, do I feel stupid! [​IMG]

If not, how long do I need to wait before they are OK?

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Wow, interesting question... My fav ate some chick starter not to long ago, well about 2 months ago, just as i was transitioning my chicks to growerfinisher... I still ate her eggs... Didn't think anything of it. Wonder if i should have now that you ask.[​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

That small amount is no worry. Some folks don't believe amprolium is anything to worry about at any time. The older girls would never die or be sick by eating it.

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    This gets asked on a regular basis, you are just fine eating those eggs. Purina has been very specific on this issue, so if you're using another brand you may want to check with them.

5. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Thank you so much!

I am SO grateful for this site!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Even if you dosed them with amprolium to treat coccidia, there is no withdrawal...eggs are safe to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by