2-liter bottl chicken waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by theperdews, Feb 22, 2012.

1. theperdews

theperdews Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
  2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    I got mine from ebay [​IMG]

3. Oktober

Oktober Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone has a source too.

A month or two ago, I bought a system from Beaktime.com (the 2 liter hanging cup waterer - link) and it has been marginally successful. In my opinion, it does not have enough water pressure to fill the cup quickly when the chickens peck at the valve (as they are drinking). We still use it, but I often have 1 qt waterer in the coop as well to make sure they have sufficient access.

Best of luck, and let us know if you find anything.

-Okt

4. NightsInWhiteSilkies

NightsInWhiteSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2011
    Originally Posted by Oktober [​IMG]

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has a source too.

A month or two ago, I bought a system from Beaktime.com (the 2 liter hanging cup waterer - link) and it has been marginally successful. In my opinion, it does not have enough water pressure to fill the cup quickly when the chickens peck at the valve (as they are drinking). We still use it, but I often have 1 qt waterer in the coop as well to make sure they have sufficient access.

Best of luck, and let us know if you find anything.

-Okt

YES. I experience the EXACT same thing amongst a few other things as youve described with their product.
    Id be very interested as well if anyone has info on where to buy a good watering cup too. Mine is not filling up good either and their back using the old watering dish they were using before. Thankyou!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  5. Fuzz Fuzz

Fuzz Fuzz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Netherlands
    Maybe it will fill faster if there is more air able to get in the bottle.
    The tube that makes the air go in the bottle so the water can get out can be cloget or maybe just to small. Or the hole where the tube sits on is to small.

I just use the same bottles that are used for rabbits and that works very well for me.
    I use the Savic brand bottle that has a green top, they come in half a liter and a liter. These can also exchange the bottle for a soda bottle (upto one liter), when the original bottle is worn out.

6. marxmail

marxmail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    Sparks, Maryland
    I have a question about the rabbit waterer. How many do you recommend for 5 chickens? They are only two weeks old to I am trying to plan out the coop.

Thank you.

7. Fuzz Fuzz

Fuzz Fuzz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Netherlands
    When you are able to refil every day one is enough.
    When they are mature depending on the size of the bottle one or two would be enough.
    I use two half a liter bottle on opposite sides of the coop, for nine bantams and they last for a couple of days.

The major benefit is that they are ease to hang on the fenching and it is also easy to make a holder out of pvc so it can stand anywhere.
    So even when it isn't enough you can very easy put another with them without having to modify the coop.

8. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    http://www.beaktime.com/2liter.php

Here is a link, I havent purchased but am thinking of it for the summer.

edited:
    Ooops sorry I see you are not looking for this type....

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  9. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    The ones at www.beaktime.com have a special tube that releases the extra air and allows the cups to get the correct pressure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  10. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a plastic tray that goes under potted plants about 3 inches larger then a 5 gallon paint bucket drilled a quarter Inch hole about half an inch from the bottom. Last 7 chickens about 3 weeks. And cost less then $2. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by