2 male 1 female???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DucksN'Horses, Oct 4, 2011.

1. DucksN'Horses

DucksN'Horses Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    I'm am starting to raise call ducks (just as pets, maybe a few small shows) and would love to have 2-3 to start off with. The problem is, call ducks are hard to find in my area this time of year, but i found one lady selling them. She has 1 female 7 males. I want to buy the female and at least one male (because i would like to hatch the eggs in spring) but there are 2 males i just love, and i was wondering, can i have 2 males and 1 female? or would the males fight and/or overbreed the female. i have a raised pen for them thats 4x8 with a little building/shed and a small pool. would it be okay to ahve 2 males? or should i just suck it up and chose between the two and only buy one? [​IMG]

thanks for any help.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    2 males one one female will/could her the little girl. I had 1 female and 2 drakes I got from a co op last spring and they overbred her, so I got two more girls. I would not do that.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You can buy the two boys, but one of them needs to be in a separate pen and then you need to find him a girl. There are a number of us on here with calls, if you post your state one of us might be close enough to get a girl from. Shipping is always an option with the cooler fall temps also.

Shellie

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    They will gang up and rape her to death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by