2 male geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cdnley, Nov 3, 2011.

1. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    I believe I have 2 male geese. They are pretty good buddies and are always close together. I never see them fight or mate. They are both the same size (height wise) and make the same sort of goose sounds so I assume they are both males. Everything is okay right now but how will things be in the spring time? I have 4 ducks as well (2 male and 2 female) and they have all grown up together and are a tight knit bunch. I need to know if I should be considering ordering some female geese or try a wait and see approach.

What do you think?

Thanks

2. mickeyjames

mickeyjames New Egg

Sep 3, 2012
    What type of geese do you have? Most are pretty good natured if brought up with humans. Introducing one female can be troublesome as the boys may fight for her bond...and, also, they will turn against you to protect her during laying season as one would expect. If you already have other geese and ducks as you mentioned...why can't you get 2 females?? THAT would solve the problem but I would get two females from different areas if someone will sell them seperately so they integrate better as geese have a tendency to keep to their "gaggle" however, I expect little trouble if you introduce 2 females...however, my females lay twice a season with the first clutch about 10-12 eggs and 7-9 in the second-and have almost a 100% hatch rate SO...be warned THAT is alot of goslings!!! As they live 30 years, ensure you can cull the males so they do not interbreed or find homes for them....unless of course, you harvest them for your own consumption. The eggs are great for cakes and desserts as I am sure you would know having ducks around. Anyhow, if you have room for a female you probably have room for two....that's best....or just keep the two buddies and enjoy them as they will be friendlier without a female around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by