2 males mallards or 1 male and 1 female????

aussiedude248

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 21, 2010
Punta Gorda FL
So I am getting Mallard Ducklings soon from Metzer Farms maybe in Jan. but I heard if I get 2 drake mallards they would fight??? and I was also wondering would it be ok if I didn't get the 2nd drake and just have 1 drake and 1 female??? !!Please help!!
big_smile.png

Two drakes growing up together will not fight. They will fight if you add a girl. They will be bodies as long as there is nothing to compete over. You can later add girls, you just have to make sure you get plenty so they don't start to compete over the girls.

Thanks for the answer because some people where saying they will fight all the time. I know they might try to get the mood on in the spring
big_smile.png
sometimes we have a group of wild female mallards like 12 flying around or by the lake. but other than that thank you very much.
frow.gif

Last edited:
Two drakes may still fight. It depends on the temperament of the individual boys. While hand raising them together without any girls around can help to reduce the risk of them fighting- they can still bicker at times while establishing dominance even without females around. Why not consider getting a trio - 1 male two females. Its only one more than you are planning anyway and would be a much better situation than two drakes or one of each.

Back
Top Bottom