2 many roos question, advice needed :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Julie1977, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Julie1977

Julie1977 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hello all, I have 19 chickens with 1 main head master roo who takes very good care of his girls, almost 1 year old. And 2 very sweet 5 month old little roosters, everyone gets along great as of now. My question is will I be able to keep them all as the younger ones mature? will they eventually start fighting each other? Are 16 hens not enough for all three of the guys to get along? Thanks so very much! [​IMG]

2. FryeFarm

FryeFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I have read that 8-10 hens per rooster is a good ratio. I have two roosters but they are completely free range and my 12 girls are in a coop with run. I will say that my two roosters bicker and peck at each other sometimes, but mostly just ignore each other unless one starts crowing then the other has to join. You might just see how they react to each other as they grow and if there's some aggression I would get rid of one.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  3. Julie1977

Julie1977 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hi and I thank you so much! I will just have to wait and see lol. Thank you for the response. Julie :)

4. FryeFarm

FryeFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Your welcome Julie :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by