1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 Mil Freezer Bags?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by washxc, Jun 23, 2011.

1. washxc

washxc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Hey All,

My local bulk foods store has 8 in x 4 in x 18 in poly freezer bags that are 2 Mil thick for 10 cents each. I believe the dimensions are the same as the bags that Murray McMurray sells for $14.95 (50 total). The folks at the bulk store said that these are the bags they use with their own chickens.

Does anyone know how thick the Murray McMurray bags are? Is 2 Mil thick enough to protect our hard work for a year in the freezer? If they're the same bag, the bulk store is significantly cheaper.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I would call MM and ask

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    A 2 mil bag will not offer much protection in the freezer. I use a 3 mil for chickens that aren't going to freezer camp, and a 4 mil bag for the ones that are. You could double bag, but then you're looking at 20 cents per chicken.

4. pepper48_98

pepper48_98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Tulsa,Ok
  5. washxc

washxc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Hey all, thanks for your replies. I called Murray McMurray this morning and the freezer bags they sell are 2 Mil. It sounds like some of you on the board think that 2 Mil might not do the job on protecting birds from freezer burn. So now I'm in a quandary... Anybody have any experience with 2 Mil freezer bags from McMurray?

6. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    I use the shrink bags from cornerstone.com and they seem to be pretty thick. When I don't process my own birds, I use a local business and they use bags much thicker than 2 mil. I would say their bags are closer in thickness to 6 mil plastic sheathing.

I wouldn't trust 2 mil bags with all of the hard work that goes into my birds.

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
  8. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    I vaccum pack all of my meat - have one of those vaccum machines - the meat will last for years -

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It's not how thick the plastic is. It is how air tight you can get it. Any air leakage and you'll get freezer burn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by