2 mo. old geese questions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by [email protected], May 31, 2010.

1. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    So, what does it mean when they shake their necks really fast, like shivering but they are not cold? How old are they when they are full grown? How do you stop them from biting/nibbling (I don't want it to progress)? If they are going to become aggressive, are there signs? and at what age does this start? Is there any way to get them to live at the pond instead of at my house? They won't even walk down to the pond unless I take them. This is my first time for geese and I love ya'll's expertise. Thank you!! jennifer

2. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Good Morning,

I know what you're talking about with the neck shivering, I'm just not sure what the display means. We'll have to wait for someone else to come along and tell us. I'm not sure you're going to get them to "stay" at the pond. They would prefer to be with there fearless leader...which means you. [​IMG]! Mine don't nibble on me they are less bonded. So I can't comment on the nibble question. You'll know when their getting agressive...I just don't think yours will unless they are nesting. They'll nest next year. Feb/March is when mine seem to start.

Enjoy your holiday.

Joni

3. blissdragon

blissdragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Eugene
    Mine usually do that when they have food stuck in their throat (or something having to do with eating). One of my ganders does this more often than the others and he sometimes lets out a loud squeak when he does it.

At least, that is what I've interpreted its been about.

4. blissdragon

blissdragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Eugene
    Well, I've reread your post and now I'm not sure we're talking about the same behavior. (I was describing a violent head shaking action...sounds like you are more describing a shivering)

5. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    [email protected] :

So, what does it mean when they shake their necks really fast, like shivering but they are not cold? How old are they when they are full grown? How do you stop them from biting/nibbling (I don't want it to progress)? If they are going to become aggressive, are there signs? and at what age does this start? Is there any way to get them to live at the pond instead of at my house? They won't even walk down to the pond unless I take them. This is my first time for geese and I love ya'll's expertise. Thank you!! jennifer

Neck shivering means "What's THAT???" and a hint of "I'm not sure I like it, will it eat me?"

They are "full grown" at three months, but get heavier (like the rest of us lol) the older they get.

Geese have one prehensile body part: their bill. It is their hands and fingers. They bite and nibble like we humans feels and manipulate. Much of it is exploring. Geese DO bite with their bill, too, and use it aggressively. Tell more about what they nibble/bite and how?

All geese have aggressive tendencies, it's a given. They have no ther real defense mechanisms like claws or teeth or speed or flight. Some tolerance for aggression in geese is a given, I think. My geese were "aggressive" with the dog and cat when they were younger than two months old, but they have an instinctual fear of predators/meat eaters. The gander and my dog still hate each other, and the dog has learned to steer clear. I don't think geese are that flexible mentally, nor should they be, if you know what I mean. During breeding season, they are aggressive due to hormones, and it's something for us humans to live through lol.

Making them stay at the pond away from you is going against their instincts to stay with their Mama. They will be more independent as they get older [​IMG] They are braver about this stuff if the flock is larger, but your two will be drawn to the water, they are geese after all, as they get older. My two goose flock are NOT as brave and explorative as my 10 goose flock was. They don't need me like they did as goslings, but they don't range too far away from the house, where they know I am. They look for me through the windows [​IMG]

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I think it is kind of a submissive-but I'm on your level behavior. My gander does it to me all the time when he walks up to me and gets close; right before he starts to "taste" my fingers, zippers, coat, pant legs, etc.

7. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Hi, Me again. I've seen mine do it - I just can't remember the situatuion. I'll have to go out, sit outside for several hours and observe [​IMG]! Anything for you Jenn! I take "note" the next time I see them do it and report back...over and out, till then...

Joni

8. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    Thanks ya'll, I just noticed the neck thing yesterday. They both did it while I was sitting outside trying to pet them. It seemed like overstimulation or something, but it wasn't an overstimulating moment. But I can see where it could be "I don't know if I like this" sort of thing. The girl, Cotton, was the one really nibbling, but I think she learned her lesson this am, no more on that, but she didn't do it at all this afternoon while we were in our evening ritual of Buzz sitting on my lap and Cotton sitting next to me.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by