2 month old- alert but laying on side with limp neck??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Adelaide, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Adelaide

Adelaide Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Wittenburg, NS, Canada
    Eyes look very alert but it cannot stand or walk. Feels like its neck is broken when i pick it up, it is so limp??? Is there anything i can do?

2. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    There have been many threads about botulism lately. Do a search and see if the symptoms in those threads match your bird's symptoms. There are home remedies (flushes and supportive care) but they aren't always successful. Good luck.

3. Adelaide

May 18, 2009
    Wittenburg, NS, Canada
    Yeah, it does seem to be like botulism. I gave the bird Colloidal Silver throughout the day and kept it inside in my mudroom where it lay limp all day. I just looked out there and it is standing in the middle of the floor! I gave it a bowl of food and it is in the process of eating the whole thing! Its head is still hanging low...but I hope it keeps getting better [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I don't know if this sounds like botulism. I had a drake diagnosed with botulism a couple of years ago, and his primary symptom was progressive paralysis, starting with one leg, over a period of several days. He developed vertigo and couldn't hold his head steady or eat/drink easily, and at that point we euthanized him. Once neurological damage occurs it can't be reversed, so the treatment has to be started very early in the course of the disease. The good news is that it's relatively rare. If your bird is getting better rather than worse, my guess is that there was another problem (or the colloidal silver worked!). Could he have been affected by the heat?

5. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    Either way, it's awesome that he's improving! Keep it up, hopefully he'll be back to normal soon!

6. Adelaide

May 18, 2009
    Wittenburg, NS, Canada
    Well whatever it was...the colloidal silver seemed to work [​IMG]

I was sure he would be dead this morning when i looked out...I just haven't had much luck with sick chickens! I look out there this morning and he is standing on top of the rabbit cage looking out the window...head up and cheeping away! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by