2 month old Black Sex-Link bald, and possibly a bully?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TristaTheMamaHen, Aug 3, 2010.

1. TristaTheMamaHen

TristaTheMamaHen New Egg

Aug 3, 2010
    Hi! I have eight 2 month old chicks who have been nothing but trouble! After just a few days/weeks they had pecked two siblings to death. They finally stopped pecking a few weeks ago, but as soon as we started to ween them from their red light, they started pecking again!
    I think that the bald little black sex-link is the culprit, but also the victim? Who knows, I am just frustrated and want to get them outside, but am now too afraid to because the pecking has started up again. Chance that the mean one is a roo? I don't think it is bald due to mites, she's the only baldy, and boy is she bald. Her whole back is bald.

Sorry I am having a couple mini crises in one! Help with pecking and possible roo?!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    What size brooder do you have them in?? Alot of times they will start that if their bored and don't have enough room! Had this problem BIG time in the spring when I had to many in my brooder! But I also just had this problem out the blue with the 11 6 week olds. They all got along fine. (my brooder is 7x3x3) Everyone was okay when it was dark and by 10 am the next morning they had completly stripped my Golden Cuckoo Marans roos back bloody. I took the 7 little roo's out of there that will be dinner one day and haven't had a problem since! Left him (after coating him down with blue kote) with the 3 females and he's been just fine since!!

Hope you get your problem solved.

Missi

3. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Yikes...poor babies (and poor you!)
    I would think if it were mites you would see signs on her legs if it were to the extreme that she was losing so much feathering.
    Do you have a spot you could isolate the suspect bully to see if things settle down? If you want advice on your possible roo you could post photos on the Gender Breed thread. So many knowledgable people out there that could help you identify if she/he is. Good luck. I hate the whole pecking order part of raising chickens....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by