2 month old chick all by itself. Is that ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kevomxracer, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Kevomxracer

Kevomxracer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    CT
    I have a 2 month old chick that I keep in the house in a 2x3 cage thing that I built. It's in there all by itself, I let it out I free range for from like 3pm until it gets dark at 4:30 and then I bring it back inside. But I'd like to keep I outside in the coop with my other 5 hens. But they always seem to try and attack it when they are out at the same time as the chick. What can I do? Is the the chick lonely? Because it free ranges by itself or follows me around the yard when I'm doing some work outside. Any help would be great. Thanks

2. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    if you introduce it slowly to the flock they will be less a threat

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yes it is most likely lonely. I advise anyone to add at least two birds at once if at all possible. Or take one hen from your original flock and get them used to one another, and then put them both in with the others.

Or get another bird that is the same age as the chick. Let them become friends and add them back to the others. They will get picked on a bit, but the attention won't be fully directed at only one bird.

4. Kevomxracer

Kevomxracer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    CT
    @Aoxa I had 2. I got them the day they were hatche but one of them died when it was about a week old. And the farm that I got them from was 45 mins away and would have cost me an arm and a leg in gas. And I've tried Putting the chick and one of my smaller hens with it and it would fluff up and jump on top of it and flap it's wings and act crazy. So I pulled them apart.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  5. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    do it with the lowest of the pecking order

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What Arcy said. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by