2 month old chick not growing and chirping 24/7?

Kkell28

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2021
Hello! I need help!!
I bought 6 chicks at the same time at the first of March so they are about 2 months old. All have moved outside to a pen and box (still with a heat lamp) except for two of them. One had a hurt leg so I kept her inside and one is so small it gets picked on by the others. So those two are still in my house under a lamp. The smaller chick isn’t growing, hasn’t grown in several weeks. It eats and drinks normally but it chirps ALL OF THE TIME. I’ve tried everything I can think of to get it to hush. I made a feather duster of some sort out of some feathers from one of my grown hens that was attacked by a hawk, I hung it inside her box and she and the other chick huddled under it the first 2 days and she hushed a little. I also take them outside when it’s warm to a cage where they are alone and let them be out for a while and scratch around some. Yesterday as my last resort I held It in a towel for a little bit and it settled down under my chin and covered with my hair and went to sleep. I have no idea what’s wrong with this chick. It doesn’t seem to have vision problems as it can see me coming when it’s in the cage outside and runs to me to take it back inside when it starts cooling off. I’ve tried leaving the heat lamp off, moving it closer and farther away, put a blanket over half of the box so it has a shade of some sort. The other chick is very nice to it, it lets it huddle underneath it so I know it’s not picking at it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I’m trying my best to keep in separated from the others until it grows more but holy cow this chirping is about to make me crazy. I’ve added pictures of both the tiny chick and the others that I got at the same time that are the same age to show the size difference. All are supposed to be Easter Eggers except for the two black ones.

Attachments

• F504D1A0-22F6-41F8-B340-A52EBA31EBF4.jpeg
    F504D1A0-22F6-41F8-B340-A52EBA31EBF4.jpeg
    922.1 KB · Views: 68
  • CB64A998-CFD1-40E2-93C9-BBCB8132E6B0.jpeg
    CB64A998-CFD1-40E2-93C9-BBCB8132E6B0.jpeg
    910.5 KB · Views: 46
Where are you at? What does the brooder set up look like? How is the chicks poop?
Do you know the breed of it and others? Can you take a photo of together for size comparison?
Nice boots. ;)

Where are you at? What does the brooder set up look like? How is the chicks poop?
Do you know the breed of it and others? Can you take a photo of together for size comparison?
Nice boots. ;)
I’m in Alabama, it started out in a bought chicken coop now it’s in a large container box with wire laid on top so they don’t fly out, I keep fresh shavings in there and keep the food and water changed. They are supposed to be Easter eggers. I’ll get a picture together this afternoon when I get back home ☺️

I would try putting both of the house chicks near the others with a creep feeder in a creep box big enough for them to get away from the others if they want to. And/or with lots of things to hide behind. Second choice would be a wire pen they are in all the time in the pen of the others or beside it. Two is much, much better than a single chick but is still a very small flock- maybe too small for her at least while the other chick isn't very mobile.

She’s not supposed to be but I didn’t see the lady’s grown chickens so it’s possible. That had crossed my mind also.

Back
Top Bottom