2 month old chick not growing and chirping 24/7?

I’m in Alabama, it started out in a bought chicken coop now it’s in a large container box with wire laid on top so they don’t fly out, I keep fresh shavings in there and keep the food and water changed. They are supposed to be Easter eggers. I’ll get a picture together this afternoon when I get back home ☺️
That would be great. Are you are feeding it medicated chick starter? I think you have done all that you can for that little gal. Some chicks just fail to thrive and that very well may be what you are dealing with. I actually have one of those now, who, like yours was a constant noise maker for it's first month or so but I had a broody to deal with it and the rest of my flock makes enough noise to drown it out, lucky me lol. So, I have just been letting it ride and it has quieted down and is still cruising 2 months later but I have very low expectations for its big picture. It will never be a thriving member of my flock and I will most likely cull when the time comes.
I think vitamins in the water a few days a week for your long term goal. High protein feed and snacks and provide heat and comfort as long as it asks for it.

That would be great. Are you are feeding it medicated chick starter? I think you have done all that you can for that little gal. Some chicks just fail to thrive and that very well may be what you are dealing with. I actually have one of those now, who, like yours was a constant noise maker for it's first month or so but I had a broody to deal with it and the rest of my flock makes enough noise to drown it out, lucky me lol. So, I have just been letting it ride and it has quieted down and is still cruising 2 months later but I have very low expectations for its big picture. It will never be a thriving member of my flock and I will most likely cull when the time comes.
I think vitamins in the water a few days a week for your long term goal. High protein feed and snacks and provide heat and comfort as long as it asks for it.
I haven’t fed it medicated chick started, they all did have to give them all antibiotics for a week though when they were all still small because they all got a cold. I have been giving her vitamins and probiotics in her water also. I’ll definitely keep trying to comfort it. Maybe it’ll hit a growth spurt eventually.

I haven’t fed it medicated chick started, they all did have to give them all antibiotics for a week though when they were all still small because they all got a cold. I have been giving her vitamins and probiotics in her water also. I’ll definitely keep trying to comfort it. Maybe it’ll hit a growth spurt eventually.
K. Still digging your boots lol. Ariat? And the horses in the 1st background photo are pretty yummy looking too. You obviously have a deep love and knowledge on how to care for critters so I hope you don't beat yourself up. It happens :( and is part of the chicken keeping deal. You did very well :hugsand will succeed with the rest :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

K. Still digging your boots lol. Ariat? And the horses in the 1st background photo are pretty yummy looking too. You obviously have a deep love and knowledge on how to care for critters so I hope you don't beat yourself up. It happens :( and is part of the chicken keeping deal. You did very well :hugsand will succeed with the rest :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy
Thank you! Yes they are Ariat Ventek boots so they aren’t as hot as normal boots 😁 and thank you for the encouragement it’s needed more than you know. Between chickens, horses, dogs and cats all having to go to the vet already than year it’s been stressful. I try by best to take care of them all. I’ve got 6 horses and those two in the picture are the oldest 22 and 25yrs old. One lost an eye several years ago and also has EPM and the other has COPD. So they are my retired expensive babies who require a lot of maintenance lol but that’s part of it.

Thank you! Yes they are Ariat Ventek boots so they aren’t as hot as normal boots 😁 and thank you for the encouragement it’s needed more than you know. Between chickens, horses, dogs and cats all having to go to the vet already than year it’s been stressful. I try by best to take care of them all. I’ve got 6 horses and those two in the picture are the oldest 22 and 25yrs old. One lost an eye several years ago and also has EPM and the other has COPD. So they are my retired expensive babies who require a lot of maintenance lol but that’s part of it.
Oh, I hear ya. I have times like that too and think I am just way over my head with it all, like what was I thinking?!! and then it settles... and everything is good. The calm and healthy moments make it all worth it I guess.
The chickens just have a few quirky things and once you get your rhythm it is a lot easier and less worry some. They are super fragile sometimes and tuff as nails the next. They are awesome.
Sorry to hear of the big animal ailments. That is a bummer and I hope you have a good vet that you really like. Been there and done that to one extent or the other. We don't have a string of ponies like you, just a couple and only do trail now but my DH went through a phase when everything he touched became severely sick or injured and I had to do the caretaking. Like years of stress and care and hope. Caring for big animals is a thing for sure. Oh the stories I could tell :th lol. Well, main thing is you are good so you can take care of them (all).

Just to update everyone my little Chirpy passed away last night 😢. I guess something internally just wasn’t right with her. Thanks for y’all of your help.
I’m sorry to hear about her passing 😢 did she sound like a squeaky toy? I have a 7 week old that has been slow growing, constantly chirps & is just now feathering out I’ve been trying to do as much research as I can to find out what I can do for her. She tries her best to keep up with our 7 week roo & 8 week olds but she still naps a little more than they do & sounds like a squeaky toy peeping away almost constantly

Attachments

• 765CCB3A-6546-4BA4-B0CD-778672A637F3.jpeg
    765CCB3A-6546-4BA4-B0CD-778672A637F3.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 3CB66EBC-3488-43F0-9C03-A3C73D46F23B.jpeg
    3CB66EBC-3488-43F0-9C03-A3C73D46F23B.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 5
I have the same issue I have a chick from my own flock that was hatched by my hen but he is not growing he eats and poops but he is just not growing his brother is huge but he is small he stayed at age of 1 month old his two other brothers did not grow and died and his buddy never grew either.

Back
Top Bottom