2 Month Old Chick, One Stiff Leg, Does Not Stand or Move.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EChambers, Apr 7, 2017.

1. EChambers

EChambers New Egg

Jul 27, 2016
    I have two month old Orpington chicks at home, when I went in to go take care of them I found one laying down with both its feet in front of it. I believe it has lost feeling in one of its feet and the other seems very stiff. I couldn't feel any fractures, breaks, or misplaced tissues in the legs and there doesn't seem to be any swelling. We put her in a sling in a separate cage last night but I am worried for my other chicks, if its a sickness of some sort how should I treat for it? And can I help the injured chick at the moment?

2. missprissychick

missprissychick Out Of The Brooder Premium Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Is your chick eating and drinking normal?

3. EChambers

EChambers New Egg

Jul 27, 2016
    Yesterday when I found her she was eating and drinking fine when I held the bowl up to her. This morning she wouldn't eat or drink anything. I have not check on her today, but I can give you an update when I get home.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    10 to 1 she has Mareks Disease.

Mareks is un-treatable, and if it was treatable the cured bird will shed the virus for as long as it lives thus infecting your other chickens.

5. EChambers

EChambers New Egg

Jul 27, 2016
    What steps should I take next?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by