2 month old chick suffers dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by feather and mountain man, Mar 26, 2011.

1. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Well I am just so upset. one of my chick pens some how got opened last night and 3 of the 6 chicks had gotten out. The new mini eski Angel I got a few weeks before the baby chicks decided to play / attack the one of the chicks. She pulled out a lot of feathers bit the upper tail end and under chest side. Also cut the eyelid on one side of the chick. I cleaned its wounds with peroxide and put triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds. Brought him in the house and set him up in a Rubbermaid tub with watter and medicated food. It slept for about 5 hours and then ate and drank and walked around a little. Any advice as to what else we can do to help him come back from this is appreciated. He was intended to be a butcher bird but now he has been reprieved and been named Jerry.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like you have already done what he needs. You could give a little extra nutrition like a bit of scrambled egg if you want. I would get him back with the others as soon as I could, too.

3. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Well I am afraid to put him out to soon since he is missing so many feathers and has dog bites. I'm afraid they will peck him. But thanks for your input. How long should I wait till I put him back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by