1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 month old chick will not eat or drink PIC

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewHobbyForMe, Nov 22, 2009.

1. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Two month old BO will not eat or drink. She just started walking around with her feathers fluffed out and hunkering up like she was cold. She always has access to a heat lamp and chick starter and water. I've tried Poly Visol vitamins, Gatorade, hard boiled egg, cooked oats. She also ate a bite or two of grass this morning but does not really eat but a bite. She did eat two bites of canned kernel corn today. She is getting more and more anti social wanting to stand alone. I've held her for hours at a time trying to sway her to perk-up with no luck. Sometimes the other 16 chicks will stand around her for warmth and comfort. I don't know what else to try. She doesn't seem to care if she eats or not any at all. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Try dissolving an aspirin in a gallon of water. Add unsweetened Kool Aid to see if she'll drink more. See if there are any changes in that time. If she refuses to drink then do whatever you can to get some in her. Just don't force it down her throat.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I had one that looked exactly like that, 3 days ago. I thought she got into some kind of toxin, with all the rotted leaves from rain, etc. Anyway, I did a molasses flush. It worked, and today she is running all over the place!
    I put about a tablespoon of molasses into a 1/2 cup water. I used a syringe and CAREFULLY squirted it into her beak. She was able to swallow without a problem. I ended up giving her about 20 - 30 cc over a half hour time frame. Then, in another hour, I did it all again.

This flush is the equivalent of a human having their stomach pumped. I figured it was worth a try. After I was finished, I gave her a mash of her feed and a couple spoons of yogurt, and I added vitamins and electrolytes to the water.

Good luck.

4. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    What does her poop look like? That will tell you a lot about her condition. She may have cocci - or it could be some sort of URI. How is her breathing? You do need to move her to someplace warm and dry away from the other babies - she may be contageous...

5. NewHobbyForMe

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Thank you all. Here are the things I tried since you replyed. Asprin in water, she drank about 3 drinks. I don't have molasses so I put a drop of honey in water. She drank 3 drinks of that. Took 1 drink of Poly Visol vitamins but that was it. I held her for a while and she is under the heat lamp in a large dog kennel so the other chicks can't bother her food or water. Hopefully, she will be better tomorrow. Thank you again. [​IMG]
    I posted or added a picture of her poo on the first post.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Another flush ..... you can use Epsom Salts in place of the molassis, if you want to do a flush.

7. NewHobbyForMe

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Thank you Kathyinmo. I do have epsom salt, I will try this tomorrow. Right now she is resting under the heat lamp.

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    You probably already have, but i just wanted to make sure you gave her a good looking-over, all over, including her vent to make sure nothing is obviously out of order. If she doesn't want to eat or drink, there's generally a problem somewhere along the line between the crop and the vent. I hope that epsom salt flush works. [​IMG]

9. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    It looks like she has a lot of bile in her poo - could be she's not eating. Flushing her could make things worse, IMHO - but I'm no expert when it comes to babies. To me, it looks more respiratory than anything else...

10. NewHobbyForMe

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    My chick is no better, in fact she is much worse. She would not even come out of the coop a little while ago. She is still not eating or drinking ANYTHING. I've tried everything except making her open her mouth and syringe food or liquids down her. She is not wheezing just sitting hunkered down like she is cold. Her vent looks fine, no signs of sores in her mouth. At least yesterday she took a bite of food and a few drinks of water. She is just wethering away. The other chicks her same age almost look twice her size and this has been going on for about five days with each day getting worse. I have two heat lamps on fourteen chicks, so I know she is warm enough. lAny suggestions. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by