2 + month old chick with splay leg, now at home w/a sibling Ideas??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WIChookchick, Sep 30, 2010.

1. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    OK... so for the last couple of weeks we have been dealing with a frizzle cross chick with a splay leg/hip.
    I kept her in a nice sized cage w/ mom in the coop.. but can't get out every day to check/monitor the leg. My barn owner doesn't know what to do
    so I brought her and her sibling home. I have them in a 30 gallon WIDE aquarium, put down newspaper and a towel (on one end).
    Re-taped her legs, put down food and water....
    When should I try aqua therapy? Can I put them out side in the back yard (supervised) and in a very small fenced location?
    Should I bath her, how often, and any other therapy people can think of??
    Thanks
    Carol

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I can't help you, but I know someone can so here's a friendly bump. Good luck with the babies at home.

3. WIChookchick

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    Bump
    PLEASE!!!! I NEED HELP

4. WIChookchick

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    Any one?
    Should i cull at this point?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    well if you have it on newspaper that will only make it worse too slick. I have never had to deal with this so can't say much. I was hoping by now you'd have gotten so pointers. As far as culling thats something only you can decide.

6. WIChookchick

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    That is the point.. no one has given me ANY pointers....

7. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I would definitely give her some bedding (wood chips) rather than slippery newspaper. Maybe if you post a picture of her, someone will be able to see what is going on. Good luck.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Well, here's the problem- I have never heard of using "aqua therapy" in relation to splay legs. A search through BYC's archives turned up nothing. A Google search returned nothing. What are you talking about when you are asking about aqua therapy? I think no one is helping you because no one has any idea what you are talking about.

You've taped the legs. You've had recommendations to use less slippery bedding. A little vitamin E and selenium would not be out of line as splay legs can be related to a nutritional deficiency. That's all I've got for you.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by