1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 month old chickens arrived

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by clkjohn, Feb 19, 2017.

1. clkjohn

clkjohn Just Hatched

Feb 19, 2017
    My 2 month old Rhode Island reds arrived yesterday 10 of them. I have a large chicken tractor that I placed them in. Do I have to place them in the upstairs coop at night myself or will they learn this themselves ? [​IMG]

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Thanks for joining, I'm sure you'll love it here! :frow

~Cuz

1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Not quite sure what you mean by upstairs coop? Do you mean will they go up the ladder and go inside in the evening? Most will do that instinctively, but some may need to be taught that the coop is their home. You can teach them that the coop is their home by closing them up in the coop (with food and water) for a couple of days. If you're referring to the roosting bars where they sleep, most chickens will automatically get up on the roosting bars to spend the night but some won't...for those that won't, you'll have to train them by placing them on the roosting bars when it's evening.

Hope that helps!

1 person likes this.
  4. clkjohn

clkjohn Just Hatched

Feb 19, 2017
    Thank you for your response I meant to say it was the chicken coop which is up the ladder this evening at sundown I will assist them in going up there thanks again for answering I look forward to being a part of this group

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, clkjohn, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! I think after you show them the way a couple of days they will figure it out pretty quickly! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

6. clkjohn

clkjohn Just Hatched

Feb 19, 2017
    Thanks for the message

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under ckjohn [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree, after a couple of nights of you showing them where to roost they will get the hang of it.

Good luck with your new feathered friends.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. clkjohn

clkjohn Just Hatched

Feb 19, 2017
    I'm really enjoying this site and appreciate the responses to my message

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by