2 month old chicks eating developer???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dizzle's chicks, Nov 2, 2011.

1. dizzle's chicks

dizzle's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    I just got three more chicks because we recently lost two due to illness. My current flock are all eating developer food and I was wondering if it is ok to feed the chicks the same food. The chicks are 2 months old. I ran out of the chick starter and don't want to have to buy a 25lb bag of chick starter if I'm only going to give it to them for another month or two. Thanks!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Absolutely fine.

3. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Should be fine as long as it's not layers feed your feeding them.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They will be fine. The percentages of protein is the only significant difference in the Starter, Grower, and Developer. The sequence of Starter, Grower, and Developer is determined based on maximum efficiency if that is the only thing they eat. Many of us give treats or let them range, so the exact nutrition they get is not geered for maximum efficiency like a commercial operation anyway.

I think they do kind of need a bit of a boost in the first month or so that they get from Starter, but after that there is not going to be a really big difference if you feed 20% Flock Raiser or 15% Developer. I personally prefer the lower range of protein after they get their first feathers so their body has more time to mature before they get too much growth. It may cost you an extra week or so before they start to lay (though I usually have some start around 18 to 19 weeks so I am not sure that statement is true), but I think they are healthier if you don't try to rush that first laying. Give their skeleton and internal organs a change to mature and match the body growth. They will be healthier in the long term.

5. dizzle's chicks

dizzle's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    thanks everyone!!! saves me some money [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by