2 month old chicks with family problems?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by woodsman, Jul 16, 2010.

1. woodsman

woodsman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    saugerties, ny
    Yikes, I'm new to this chicken thing. On May 21 this sweet little hen started leading around 6 of her chicks. She was given to me by my neighbor who has many free range chickens living on his property. I asked him for a hen cause this rooster, I was sure came from him, showed up one day and hung out for days. I started feeding him and then her. They were enjoying the good life. She has been hanging out nights in one tree with the kids, and he is in a neighboring tree. I feed them 2 - 3 times a day and make sure they have water. They have a few acres to roam and seem quite happy with the set up.
    Well, that was until today. Today I went out and one(1) chick was hanging out under my deck. No other chickens within sound or sight. Crazy as they never were separated from mom before. Now tis chick looked abused to me. Neck feathers screwed up and a dazed look on his/her face. Eventually the others came back, but he/she was getting the cold treatment. Then I noticed that one of the other chicks that looks like this one(they are all really beautiful) seemed to be having a similar plight, but not quite to the same degree. Can somebody with chicken knowledge help me out? Not sure what to do, if anything....[​IMG] Thanks, ralph

2. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Are the chicks squabbleing(is that even a word???[​IMG]) between themselves....or is one of the adults picking on these certain chicks? Maybe the chicks are becoming old enough to establish a pecking order? Girls & boys both will do this but they should all get back together at night to roost. I'd say just keep an eye on things and make sure that none of them are left isolated at night and therefore leaving them vulnerable to predators. Oh....by the way....sounds like your hooked;)[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  3. woodsman

woodsman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    saugerties, ny
    Hey thanks for the quick get back Keri...And I'm not hooked! At least I don't think so. Perhaps attached at some level. They are really cool. They have taught me a lot about human behavior! As a relative rookie here I am not sure how I should reply to replies - like this or with a private email? Yes the last few days I had noticed some minor squabbles which seemed to be mostly bluff. But I haven't caught who did or is doing the damage. I can't tell hens from roos so not sure if it's sexual or what. I suppose in the final analysis it's all about that. But tonight all 8 are in the same tree(the one that the rooster used to avoid) and one of the bullied chicks is roosting closer to the roo. All input welcome. I was just reading a different forum and discovered the freezercamp solution to these kinds of problems!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by