2 month old Duckling weezing and sneezing help

chickenbuttsowhat

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Danville, Arkansas
i started raising ducks last summer never had them get sick but now i got a crested duckling from atwoods shes 2 months old now and i noticed shes been weezing sneezing and sometimes cough i checked her eyes and nose nothing running and im not sure if they r like chickens so dont know what to give her can someone help i did put some warm vet x drops under her wings and on her beak

A few of mine have been sneezing sometimes too. I am still not sure what's up. Fresh air and me messing with their bedding when they aren't in it helped some. I hope someone can help you! I freaked when one of my started sneezing alot- when the other 9 started sneezing I REALLY panicked. It took my husband sitting with me for a while and listening and watching for me to realize it was really just the one. So other things I asked myself: did I change their food, is their bedding really dusty, is their bedding nice and dry, is their living area appropriately warm, am i feeding the right kind of food, did i change something about their environment that stressed them out, are they eating and drinking normally... stuff like that. Doing that helped me know what it 'wasn't' which is a place to start right?

Is the duckling getting frequent opportunities to snoot water through its nares? If not, things will stick inside the nares and cause troubles, including possibly sinus infections.

It needs to be able to at least dunk its entire head in clean water often.

There are head washers you can set up . . . grab a margarine tub (clean and empty, of course
wink.png
) and cut a head-sized hole out of the top, near the edge. Fill about three quarters of the way with lukewarm clean water and make it available to the ducklings.

Is the duckling getting frequent opportunities to snoot water through its nares? If not, things will stick inside the nares and cause troubles, including possibly sinus infections.

It needs to be able to at least dunk its entire head in clean water often.

There are head washers you can set up . . . grab a margarine tub (clean and empty, of course
wink.png
) and cut a head-sized hole out of the top, near the edge. Fill about three quarters of the way with lukewarm clean water and make it available to the ducklings.

I'm so excited to add some of these to the coop this weekend. OP- I totally spaced this. There was a span of 2 days that my ducklings outgrew their waterer and could no longer get their whole bills/head in the water and they were sneezy. Maybe she needs deeper water?

There are a number of antibiotics, Baytril is one I have heard of, there's also Agramycin. Do you have a vet who could give you some advice? There are also some threads that have discussed this, including how to administer.

Baytril may be too strong for a duckling. Penicillin may work, there are a number of variations of antibiotics out there, and this is beyond my knowledge and experience. But I would not put off finding some help with it. There are powdered antibiotics available at most feed stores, I am told. But dosage is something you would want expert help on.

Have you posted to the Emergencies forum?

Last edited:
I'm a newbie but I know the answer to this. I had to call Jeffer's about my own ducks having the same problem and I was told that 1 tbls. of Duramycin-10, to one gallon of water, is the proper dosage for ducks. Another thing I was told by their duck person, is take a cotton swab with the Vet RX on it and run it down the top center of their bill. This year seems to be bad in the way of allergies for humans and animals as well.

Back
Top Bottom