2 month old easter egger hard time breathing

BockityBockBock

Chirping
Dec 21, 2021
Hey all! Yall don't know it but some of you helped save my Matilda from being eggbound and my Lilly chick from Coccidosis with the information provided in the forums I've been a chicken tender going on about 10 months now. It's definitely a learning experience!! Not quite what i thought it would be lol. Thanks for all the helpful information. Much much appreciated 🙏

I have a 2 month old Easter egger, Yetta, that's wheezing and coughing. No runny nose or swollen face/eyes. She's eating and drinking. Not quite as active as usual. She's my wildest one who usually wants NOTHING to do with me unless i have food in my hands. She's been stretching her neck out with open mouth breathing. I looked in her mouth and behind her tongue is a glob of whitish lumpy goo. I dont know what it is. Its hard to see in there even with the flash light. I want to remove it from her throat because i believe it may be what's clogging her airways. Im scared to try it cause I don't want to hurt her. She wiggles her head trying to get away. Idk if its stuck on there or if it can be wiped off. I gave her water with a syringe and looked again. Some of it moved but not much. I started her on some garlic acv water (their waterers always have acv in them).

Is there a special trick to get and keep her mouth open so I can try to get it out?? Anything in particular to use to remove goo from her throat? Qtip? Tweezers? Help!!!

Her poops range from normal green/brown with white cap to brown pudding like poop and others are clear liquid with a few chunks of brown poop. Their poops are NEVER consistent in shape/texture.

I recently treated them with corid for the Coccidosis. I treated 1 week, then regular water for a week. Then another round of corid for a week. They've been off corid about a week now. Could that have caused what's happening now?

She's in the house in a brooder cleaned out 2x a week with 4 other chicks and everyone else seems fine. I was taking them outside every day so they can roam around for an hour or so but i haven't since the Coccidosis outbreak. I can't leave them out as we're currently expanding the run and adding another coop and I cant put them in the pen with the hens. Should be finished this weekend or next.

Sorry if I may have missed any info to give you. If anyone has any advice or idea of what's causing the stuff in her throat, im all ears/eyes!

Attachments

• 0901221822.jpg
    0901221822.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Can you give her honey in her water, it thins mucus. Also, boost her immune system by brewing a cup of echinacea tea and add honey to that. Make sure she's still eating well. And check the mucus in her throat. I don't know if you could take it out with tweezers. The only thing I would be comfortable with going in there is a q tip, but only if someone was holding her head down on a flat surface. I would also but vetricyn on her comb and waddles.

Can you give her honey in her water, it thins mucus. Also, boost her immune system by brewing a cup of echinacea tea and add honey to that. Make sure she's still eating well. And check the mucus in her throat. I don't know if you could take it out with tweezers. The only thing I would be comfortable with going in there is a q tip, but only if someone was holding her head down on a flat surface. I would also but vetricyn on her comb and waddles.
Yes, i certainly can and will give her some honey. How much do I put in her water? Like a spoonful maybe? Ill have to go find the echinacea tea. Ive never even heard of it.

"Hold her head down on a flat surface" brilliant! When my boyfriend gets home from work, we will try that. Thank you! Yea im not too keen on putting a sharp object in her mouth. Going to go with the qtip.

I gave her a couple of elderberries. She volunteered to peck them from my hand and ive seen her eating her feed but when i check her crop, doesn't feel like much is in there.

What is the vetricyn for? She doesn't have much of a comb and no waddles yet.

Chinese traditionals brand is available in our local grocery stores, I don't know if Wal Mart or target have it. I usually get the one with elderberries in it. A couple of teaspoons is good, it's a good appetite boost as well.

Vetricyn is like Vicks for chickens. I would put it where her wattles and comb should be.

To calm your girl when you're holding her stretch her legs out. I'm not sure why it works, but it does.

Chinese traditionals brand is available in our local grocery stores, I don't know if Wal Mart or target have it. I usually get the one with elderberries in it. A couple of teaspoons is good, it's a good appetite boost as well.

Vetricyn is like Vicks for chickens. I would put it where her wattles and comb should be.

To calm your girl when you're holding her stretch her legs out. I'm not sure why it works, but it does.
Thank you so much for the information! I put some honey in their waterer. My poor baby girl, she's struggling. I hope these things help her. I dont want to lose any of my babies. Thank you ☺️

If she's not eating enough giver her black soldier larvae grubs, raw yolk, and watermelon, I give them nutrient dense food when they're not eating because they're not feeling well. Not eating makes them spiral down faster. I've even stuffed grubs into my hens beaks just to make sure she had something in her crop. I even put in some pellets. She wasn't a fan but she felt better faster.

Yes, i did that with one of my other chicks with the Coccidosis. I had to give her water with a syringe and stuff a little bit of food in her mouth for a couple of days as she wouldn't eat or drink.

Thinking im going to give yetta a warm epsom salt soaking before trying to deal with her mouth. I was shocked at how relaxed a couple of my hens became after a good soaking.

Ok, so I believe theres something, a feather maybe, wrapped around her tongue. Either that or theres an extra piece of flap that's supposed to be attached to her tongue. I pulled it forward and out of her airway. No more wheezing sound or gasping for air. Tried to pull it out but she starts yelping when it pulls at her tongue, which makes me wonder if its some sort of body part that's supposed to be there but got detatched in the back? Idk. Can't get a good picture of it. Im just glad she's breathing normal again. I can't get it out. I dont want to try much more until I know if its supposed to be there or if its a foreign object wrapped tightly around her tongue. Im pretty sure it's a feather or hair with gunk build up. It came out of her throat easily but I want to be sure before moving forward.
We've been searching for the anatomy of a chicken mouth but no pictures of what we're trying to see.

Thoughts? Advice?

Attachments

• 0902221910.jpg
    0902221910.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 0902221911.jpg
    0902221911.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom