1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 month old light brahma. Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thechicksitter, Jun 4, 2016.

1. thechicksitter

thechicksitter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    Texas
    Everything about this chick has screamed roo from day one, but I've started having my doubts in the last couple of weeks. It's especially hard since I don't have another brahma to compare it to. But it seems like everyone else's cockerels had pretty obvious combs by eight weeks.

I would would have bet everything on this being a roo but there is no hint of a real comb yet and it's still very pale pink. Plus, it's feathers are looking very rounded.

Please excuse photo quality. It never stops moving.

At almost 8 weeks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

At 6 weeks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say pullet! [​IMG]

~Alex

3. thechicksitter

thechicksitter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    Texas
    I guess that just goes to show you that you really can't rely on any of the early sexing tricks. :D

This chick was the most aggressive, very upright posture, did the chest bumps, was slow to feather, short stubby wings, thick fat legs, etc.
    We actually named it Beetlejuice because it was a little black and white striped monster. It has been mellowing out lately though. Lol.

4. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Absolutely right! I never pay attention to the chick's personality as a way of determining its gender for that very reason. [​IMG] I've have some very assertive, aggressive pullets, a few mellow, sweet cockerels. You just never know, ha ha! [​IMG]

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by