2 Month old Polish chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dcsandgren, Jul 4, 2010.

1. dcsandgren

dcsandgren Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Medford, OR
    I am currently thinking about buying 2 or 3 two month old Polish pullet chickens. I am wanting a few more tame ones to add to my flock,
    because my current chickens are VERY skittish. I can't even touch one without them running and huddling into a corner. The owner says
    she does not handle her chickens everyday but they are "fairly tame". I really don't want to end
    up with more really skittish chickens..

My question is; Can 2 month old chickens become tame, to a sense where I could hold and pet them?

Thanks, feedback is really appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    They can be tame if you take time to handle them daily. My favorite way to tame chickens is to sit out in the coop with them with a handful of treats, and a few shiny things on my clothes, and laces on my shoes! If they're curious about me, and work up the courage to investigate, they'll usually come eat out of my hand. Just like a man, the closest way to a chicken's heart is through its stomach. Don't let them free range until they're excited to see you come into the coop, and will even come jump on your lap or shoulder to investigate. And then, remember treats treats treats! Works for me!

3. dcsandgren

dcsandgren Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Medford, OR
    Alright, I'll be sure and do that. I already do it now with these hens I have, but they just want nothing to do with me. I visit them more then twice a day
    and throw they're regular food, fresh grass, bugs, crackers, bread, and scraps out to them. I just think it's the age of the hens I have now is why they won't
    change their minds of humans which is why I am hoping the 2 month old might become tame. Thank you for the reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by