2 month old quail won’t eat or drink and can’t walk

Alice_yu14

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2021
I have a female quail and on Sunday I put my quail outside and I thought it went missing but I found it in the neighbours surrounded by 3 cats. The cats didn’t harm her. But yesterday when I went to my quail it had trouble balancing itself and now this morning it can’t walk properly and refuses to eat. Last night it ate and drank but this morning it stopped. Instead it keeps chirping. I don’t know what’s wrong with it. At first I thought it was the cats but the day I found it surrounded by cats it was still happily finding food in the grass and running and walking well but suddenly the next day it just had trouble moving. I realised that every time I move my quail t keeps chirping as if in pain?? I’m currently hand feeding it water but it still refuses to eat. I’m also keeping it warm under heat lamp. But for the past few days it’s always been under a heat lamp. Now I don’t know what to do.
Please help!

Im sorry to read about your quail. As you already suspect, your lil quail is injured. Since you haven't seen any visable signs of injury, it must be internally since it's displaying the inability or increased difficulty in walking and has stopped eating.
You are doing the right thing by keeping it warm but, it must have an area to move from the heat lamp. I don't know if you have any Hydro hen electrolytes to give it. Or give it Gatorade. It needs the electrolytes. The other thing is mixing up some mash. Cook an egg and crumble it up.
See if that will intince its appetite.
How old is your quail?
Take pictures of its poop,
A video of how it trys to walk is helpful too but, you need to upload it to YouTube first I think.

Try these things.
Your doing the Best you can with your Quail right now.

It's possible that she has internal injuries, but it kind of sounds like she might be egg bound. Is she pooping? If not, can you feel an egg stuck in her vent? Is a vet an option?

If she's not eating, I would try to get some Save-a-chick or Nutri-drench into her to keep her energy up. If you can examine her for any swelling or hidden wounds.

If you have pictures, that might help.

It's getting late for me, so in case you think she might be egg bound, the treatment for that would be to soak her vent in warm (just a couple degrees warmer than quail body temp) water and gently massage her vent. A bit of vaseline may also help her get it out.

If it is injury and a vet isn't an option, keep her warm and try to get some nutrition into her.

I don’t know how to post a picture. But thank you so much for replying.

I don’t think it’s egg bound.. do quails lay at 2 months old?

It’s poop is white and I think there’s a tiny bit of blood. It’s making me more worried. It was completely fine and suddenly it didn’t want to move anymore.

Right now it’s just huddled in a corner fluffing it’s feathers.

Thank you so much for replying.

It still doesn’t want to eat and I don’t know how to force food down without harming her

I'm sorry to read there is no Improvement in your quail.
I will tag @ Nabiki again as I don't know anything about quail. If, it was a chicken, I would suspect and treat for Coccidiosis. Re: blood in the stool and the behavior even under the heat lamp. Where are you located on this planet? Do you have an Avian vet that you can take your lil quail for a visit?

Back
Top Bottom