2 month Silkie pullet or cockerel??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lauren1824, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Lauren1824

Lauren1824 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2013
    It is supposedly 2 months old and supposedly a pullet. I have my doubts, and cannot have a rooster due to my neighbors. If anyone can tell, thoughts are appreciated. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Lauren1824

Nov 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Silkies take forever to sex. I think I would lean towards cockerel on that one but I could be wrong.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi I raise silkies as well and I would lean toward saying it is a Cockerel. I'm baseing my guess on the presence of the larger comb for his age and the presence of what looks to be streamers coming from the back of the crest. Sometimes when they are as young as that the crest can really fool you because it has not fully developed yet. However if the comb is that large at that age it is usually a tell tail sign of a Cockerel. And if I'm seeing correctly it's beginning to redden a bit at the top.judgeing by the combs a silkies female will usually have a more flat smoother comb not bumpy.silkies are very hard to sex until they are around 4 months old. But judging what I see in the picture I'd say I'm about 95% certain that is a male bird.but you never know. Some can trick us..He sure is a cutie!! I hope this helps and wish you the best.

5. Lauren1824

Nov 24, 2013
    Thank you so much. I am going to take him back to the breeder today. Luckily she will exchange if it has only been a few days.

6. Tara K

Tara K Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Salem MA
    Agreed, I say cockeral too

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning towards cockerel.

8. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Did you get him exchanged? I know how hard it is to get attached then have to re home or take them back! I've been in that very same situation many many times.finally I started DNA sex testing my prospective buys. The breeders usually allow it because I pay for the DNA. It's about 12 dollars per sample. The breeder benefits as well knowing who is male and can sell the males as straight run. It's very simple to do.i just pluck a few feathers or have breeder do it then send those feathers in for sex testing. Then I purchase the females and breeder keeps the males to sell as straight run. It' sounds harder than it is and I don't have a bunch of roos I have to re home. I decided to start doing it this way when a few years back I ended up with several roos I had to find homes for. Which was not easy and heartbreaking.now I test my birds so I'm certain I'm getting females.i test 4 or 5 birds and usually end up with two or three females. If you can't have roosters like I can't this is really the way to go. Best wishes and hope this helps. I use a lab called health gene. I'll find the link and post it for you..

9. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  10. Lauren1824

Nov 24, 2013
    Thank you very much! I have never heard of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by