2 month Silkie will eat everything but feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ArtCaptain, Sep 3, 2016.

1. ArtCaptain

ArtCaptain Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    For some reason my 2 month old Silkie ( I think it's a hen) will eat everything, but feed! It'll eat bugs, fish, and sometimes fruit and lettuce, but when I try to give it feed it just STARES AT THE FEED. [​IMG]It looks as if it has no appetite or the feed just looks unappetizing. I hope it's not being picky because if it is it's gonna starve to death soon!

Things I have tried(and haven't really worked):
    -Keeping it isolated for a day with just food and water
    -Feeding it a porridge like mix of feed and baby chicken feed

Does anyone know if this is some type of phase or if it's probably coming down with some sort of sickness?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If it is eating everything else it isn't sick just another picky eater. Just cut down on the other stuff for a while till it starts eating the feed.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you feed chick starter dry? Maybe if you moistened it a bit, she would find it more appealing. Or if it is larger pieces, grind them down some as well. Bantam chicks are small and if things are too difficult for them - they will look for things that are easy(and soft).

4. ArtCaptain

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    [​IMG] I wouldn't be surprised actually.[​IMG]

5. ArtCaptain

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    I did feed it some mushy chick feed, and it ate some... I think I'll try giving some more of the chick feed with only small seeds mixed in. If that doesn't work I think I'll cut down on the treats like Den in Penn said. Other than that are there any feeds specifically that have small seeds in them? Where I go to buy feed most of the stuff's pretty chunky. (There are other places nearby that sell feed so I think I'll try those if anyone mentions any.)

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My bantams eat Flock Raiser crumbles just fine, from hatching. Stop all the treats! She will figure out that the crumbles really taste great. Offering goodies is NOT a good idea, except in very small amounts. Adding seeds to her base diet will encourage her to eat seeds. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by