1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 more turkeys off to freezer camp- 7 down, 5 to go!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by NurseNettie, Dec 6, 2009.

1. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    We butchered 2 more of our white broad breasted turkeys that we got in July ( 13-- what was I thinking!!!) today.

The hen dressed out at 25.6 pounds, the tom was 27.2. We've still got 4 hens, and a very big tom ( the one we did 2 weeks ago dressed out at 32.2 pounds, the one that's left is bigger!!)

I've got the smaller of the 2 brining in my big canning pot, and the other is "resting" out on the sunporch ( it's 35 degrees out there) before I rewrap and freeze it. I may cut it in half before freezing this one- haven't decided yet.

Can't wait to roast one tomorrow. We just finished the one we roasted last week! Yum!

2. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Congrats! I still have 14 turkeys left, Midget Whites, Bourbon Reds, and 1 Narragansett. I want to get down to just 2 breeding trios so I still have a bit of processing to do. Next weekend we're doing ducks, then the weekend before Christmas we'll do a couple more turks. Enjoy your turkey dinner tomorrow!

3. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Quote:Thanks! Got one in a roasting pan on the grill as we speak. It's smelling mighty fine! Had it in brine overnight- about 14 hours, now it's cooking away, cannot WAIT to have some later!!! I'm still deciding what to do with the other one- freeze whole, or cut it up and freeze in pieces.

I'd like to get a breeding pair or trio next year- still deciding on what type. I'm really liking the fresh turkeys, moreso than chickens. These are just the feed store, fast growing variety--we ( meaning me and hubby-- the 2 who live in our household) got 13 this summer after getting a call telling us they had 13 left that people backed out on, and did we want to buy any. We bought them all-- 13 big growing birds for 2 people! LOLOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by