2 mutts and a silkie. All girls. Am I right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WYOwhy, Nov 3, 2010.

1. WYOwhy

WYOwhy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Wyoming
    Hi all, I traded in my confirmed cockerels for a hen and a pullet.

This hen, now named Leda, is the #1 suspect in whose-eggs-did-the-man-put-in-the-incubator. I think she is a silkie? 5 toes and friendly. Do you call that color buff in silkies? Sorry for the picture quality, I'm using my phone...
    [​IMG]

And this barred darling, Europa, is a sibling (I think) to Helen-turned-Troy. Pure mutt. Look at the fluff on the noggin' - where did that come from? The only polish on the property is too young to have done any breeding. If Leda is the mama and the barred rock roo is the papa, do genetics insist that Europa is not a pullet but a cockerel? I can post better pictures if we need them to determine her gender. Her comb is nothing like Troy's and there has been no crowing or rooish behavior from her. Best guess is that she is 9 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

And the third (blue) chick you can see in the shots is my sweet gimp, Io. She still looks pullet to me.
    [​IMG]

Edited to replace photos with better resolution of the same phone-pictures.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The Silkie looks like a pullet. From what I can see, I think the others are, too, but could you get some closer pictures?

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    looks like they are both pullets, pretty girls too!

4. WYOwhy

Sep 10, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks for the replies. I updated my pictures a little. Still from the phone, but better edited. And clarified my questions.

I know the silkie is a hen - she's been laying at the country estate since spring. She is a silkie, right? And is her color called buff? Why isn't her head all furry like most silkie pictures I see?

The barred one, Europa, has got me a little confused. I thought barred roos crossed with a non-barred hen gave barred cockerels and non barred pullets. But maybe I've got that wrong? Or maybe he was a Het-BR? Or the silkie pictured above was not the hen involved in the process? But she looks girly to me. Do you all see girly? And the fluffy noggin'? Is that from the silkie genes? Does that mean she could have a hidden silkie comb and be a roo?

And Io, the blue one, now 9 weeks. Safely calling her a pullet?

~Thanks!!!

5. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'd just like to say that I love your chickens' names! Is Leda also named after a moon?

6. WYOwhy

Sep 10, 2010
    Wyoming
    Quote:Thanks. Leda is indeed another of Jupiter's moons. But my stelar hens are all named for mortal women of Greek mythology. Leda was seduced by Zeus in the form of a swan. She is mother to many including Helen of Troy and Castor & Polyduces. This hen is (by our best guess) the mother of the four other chicks I've had in my backyard flock including Helen-now-Troy.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  7. Layla1223

Layla1223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:She is a Silkie. Yes, her color is Buff. Silkies have 3 different qualities Pet Quality, Breeder Quality, and Show Quality. You probably have Pet or Breeder quality. The higher quality, the fluffier the Silkie. She may also be young or she might not have gotten all of her feathers fully formed and in yet. Either way she is very cute! [​IMG]

8. WYOwhy

Sep 10, 2010
    Wyoming
    Quote:Thanks. We're definitely pet quality around here. Any breeding of chickens that has happened was entirely accidental. (My friend's husband wondered if the eggs would hatch and stuck them into the incubator to find out.) I'm perfectly content with pet quality as long as they are friendly and lay eggs every once in a while. Even so, it is nice to know what kind of chicken I have. Now I can say "my buff silkie has been a little harassed in her country home but is quickly settling in to a peaceful city life." [​IMG] I think she is cute too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by