2 Mystery Pullets - Golden Cuckoo Maran?? Brahma?? Help please!

shellrae7

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Pleasant Grove, UT
I have 2 new birds I was given in a group, and I can identify the rest of the group, but not sure about these 2

a0a53f3a-ded3-4496-a044-7b852518a36d.jpg

6f92fa06-a664-4f6c-b3c4-d19252be4990.jpg

My guess is that it's a Golden Copper Maran. But it really doesn't look like the female photos I've seen, just the Rooster ones. But it's at least 4 months old, and I haven't heard it crow yet.

Here is another bird. It thought it might be an auracauna, but no beard or tufts. Then I thought maybe Brahma, but it has no feathered shanks.

0629c762-7249-406b-af7e-92572b205201.jpg

2b812ed7-d2d4-451c-952c-07f827c1d43f.jpg

I'd love to have all of your help and opinions. Thanks so much! They are really pretty birds, I just like to know what they are. Supposedly the one was purchased from IFA, and the GCM was hatched in a classroom.

Quote:
I agree. It doesn't look like a Marans. A Marans should have white legs. There's really a lot of red bleeding through. I was actually thinking about trying to breed for exactly that type of bird. Sort of a Gold Cuckoo, but on a Plymouth Rock based not Marans. The other one I have no idea about. I'm tempted to guess Silver Laced Wyandotte, but I really don't know based on your picture.

The first one is a roo not a pullet. Hes not a Golden Cuckoo Marans. He looks like a cross of a barred rock roo on a RIR hen, I hatched one just like him from that cross can give birds ranging from clean black barred like barred rocks all the way to so much red leakage that they look red barred like yours.

And the second one is a pullet and she is a hatchery quality Silver laced Wyandotte.

You guys are speaking in code. :) I think I figured out SLW.. is that Silver Laced Wyandotte? Good call... that is similar looking.

I also came up with the possibility of a Barred Columbian Rock

Yes, I realized after posting that the top one is definately not a Marans because of the yellow legs. But I don't know what BSL means either. Anybody that can translate code for me? Any other suggestions on the Marans wanna be??? Thanks ALL!

Wow, there were 3 more replies as I was writing my last one. Thats why i didn't make sense. So sounds like SLW it is! (See I"M talking in code now!)

So probably some sort of barnyard mix then on the first one? I was worried it might be a roo, but it's quite old and hasn't let on yet. That was my first impression when I saw it, but they said it had never given any them any reason to think so.
I'm with you though, guess I have to decide what to do with it. I have alot of roos already.

Quote:
Yes SLW means Silver laced Wyandotte and thats what the second one is, just trust us on that.

There is no such thing as a Barred Columbian Rock. There is a Barred Rock and a Columbian Rock, but not a barred columbian and it is neither of those, Wrong color and comb type for those.

And BSL means Black SexLink and he doesnt look like a BLS, he looks like the cross of a Barred Rock roo on a Rhode Island Red hen.

Back
Top Bottom