2 n1 question seems silly but want to ask.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckins, Jan 29, 2013.

1. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    I posted feather picking thread yesterday 3 crest pulling feathers been applying neo to their head but remaining hair is filthy and greasy it want wash out when they swim is there a mild wash I could use to clean the greasy residue I would have help to ensure nothing got into their eyes? Looked threw past post could find nothing but egg washing. 2nd quest can ducks have the dried mealworm chick treats sold at Tsc and feed stores. Sounds silly just wanted to check.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I feed our ducks dried mealworms as an occasional treat, and they really like them.

I have no experience in trying to wash feathers . . . so I hope someone who has done it checks in. But haven't wildlife rescuers used Dawn dish soap for cleaning petroleum-soaked feathers?

It will take time for natural preening oil to be replaced after the cleaning, so be aware of that, and please check on that Dawn idea . . . haven't done it myself.

3. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    It's not big deal just thought they might feel better they like being clean thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by