2 New Black Cochin Cockerels..... Meet Butler & Big Sam

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lockedhearts, Jan 27, 2009.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    MY venture into Standard Cochins began with the purchase of Rhett & Scarlett. Little did I know how much I would fall in love with this breed, or that I would develop a wonderful friendship with the sellers.

DH & I were at a Tractor Show in Carrollton last April with my parents, as usual we walked over to see the chickens (A local poultry club sets up there every year)
    Rhett was a Big Black Gentle Giant and I hatched several babies from him and Scarlett.
    I ended up going back to Beth & Jerry and buying another Hen, A Splash named Tara, I also kept one of the chicks from Rhett & Scarlett, her name is Darla. I also got a Splash Cockerel, named Stoney.

Sadly, Rhett passed away, from an apparent Heart Attack, on Christmas Day. I miss him terribly.
    I contacted Beth with the sad news, she said she had several Black Cockerels I could chose from. Robin (Pumpkinpup) and her DH and I drove down to Beth's last week and I brought home these 2 big fluffy loveable guys.

Meet Butler & Big Sam

Butler:

[​IMG]

Big Sam:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Please refrain from showing pics of such lovely birds...otherwise, I may be too weak to refrain from buying any/all eggs you have for infinity! [​IMG]

3. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:The girls are starting to lay again [​IMG]

I am testing several in my bator now.

4. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    Quote:oh great, that made me look at the list she has! oh boy! I'm going to be another weak refrainer!

5. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Also will have a White Pair of SQ Bantam Cochins too [​IMG]

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Their beautiful!

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    are those silver laced things COCHINS!!!???

8. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:I have 2 Silver Laced Cochin Hens, Mona & Prize. I am searching for a Boyfriend for them.

I also have a Partridge and am looking for a couple more hens and a Rooster.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What a couple of stud-muffins! Very handsome.

10. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Thanks! They are both very sweet boys! They will never replace my beloved Rhett, but they fit in nicely in the group. Once my Blue and Splash girls get a little older, I will be seperating everyone into breeding groups.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by