2 New chicks what are they?

R&RCoop

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I know it is too early for sexing the chicks, but we are wondering if people know what they might be. We hatched the eggs from a local farm (they gave us some eggs). There were a lot of Black Australorps and EE's (white with black/gray markings). Not sure of the roosters though so they could be mixed. We are just curious and not worried if they are full breed.

Thanks for looking and any help!

Chick1 (Stripes) New (Came from Brown Egg)
43701_chick1new.jpg

Stripes 2.5 Weeks (looks like black feathers coming in)
43701_chick1_2weeks.jpg

Both Chicks 1 Week
43701_bothchicks1week.jpg

Chick2 (Spot) New (Came from White Egg)
43701_chick2new.jpg

Spot 2.5 Weeks
43701_chick2_2weeks.jpg

If you want to take a stab at sexing feel free, but I know it is too early.

Last edited:
The red one looks like a sexlink, so it would be a pullet. The white could possibly be a sexlink male, but his white dots make me think he's a result of a crossing with a hen that is dominant white , like a white leghorn.

Quote:
If they were from a mixed farm, it's very slim that it would be a California White, because a California Grey roo would be needed, and I doubt many people have them. But dominant white legorn hens are used to create the Cali. Whites, and the chicks would look the same, regardlell of the roo used. most of them time.

spot looks a LOT like my chicks that are from my EE Roo and my leghorn....
not really mottled or spotted.. just a few random black feathers.. lol...
i'm interested to see what the top one ends up being.. it's got cute baby coloring...

Well it is finally 6 weeks after hatch. Any help on the sex of the birds would be great. They are both mixed breed as far as we can tell. They were 6 weeks yesterday.

Thanks again for any help.

Stripes

43701_chick1-2.jpg

43701_chick1-1.jpg

Spot

43701_chick2-2.jpg

43701_chick2-1.jpg

i'd say bot girls at this point too... my little EE/leghorn that looks like spots, they're um... well i guess about the same age... halloween hatch.. and the boys combs are noticably bigger and turning red...
i hope they keep looking like girls and lay lots of eggs for you.. lol..

Back
Top Bottom