2 new gals!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by warren86, Oct 16, 2016.

1. warren86

warren86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2016
    Got 2 more gals today from my Grandpas wild flock I've been catching I know the pictures aren't great but will try and get better any idea on breeds? Possible mixes?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Im guessing Australorp cross for first one and maybe like a leghorn cross or like a production red cross??? It practically impossible to tell unless you have some idea what the parents could be

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'd agree with the prediction of AustralorpsAU. They look like they could be crosses derived from those breeds. Hope they tame down for you!

4. warren86

Oct 8, 2016
    Do mixed breeds sometimes do better than pure breeds?

5. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    A lot of mixed breeds actually lay more and bigger eggs! They are sometimes more hardy as well. Nothing wrong with mixed breeds you just can't show them!

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Mixes generally out do most pure breeds. They sometime lay better, lay bigger eggs, lay longer, thrive in weather extremes better, and live longer. In fact 99% of the pure breeds if you trace them back far enough are mixes of other breeds themselves. And were crossed and selectively bred for certain traits such as color, size, laying, etc...

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    mixed breeds

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Aren't Australorps a white skinned breed though?

Those birds have yellow skin(by their yellow legs) which is a recessive to white skin.

What is meant by wild flock.. and are there any known breeds present in the flock?

If you hadn't said wild flock I would have guessed maybe red sex link hen bred with a black rooster. A black rooster with yellow skin bred with a red sex link would throw exactly half like the black and half like the mostly white.

A lot of wild as in feral or completely free range flocks contain Game birds so those could be Game crosses or mixes with dual purpose breed or sex links for all we know..

9. warren86

Oct 8, 2016
    No game I'm pretty sure what I mean as wild flock it's a bunch of chickens that got out of my grandpas pin and forever over a year or longer have been free ranging and maybe 1 generation worth of chicks came from it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by