2 non related deaths?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dawny2u2, Feb 25, 2011.

1. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    I was on here last week, had a dying brown leghorn. Thanks to a nice forum member, I kind of came to the conclusion, that it was probably just low bird, who was weak, she had weight loss, and was acting meek. Now 1 week later I had another one die, seems different. I didn't notice anything unusual, just that she was in the next box when I put em to bed ( which was rather early, we have been having below zero weather and its hard on man and beast alike) The coop is 20 x 30 cabin, I have 23 chickens in there, it doesn't
    get below 30, they eat layer feed, and scratch, I get from 12 - 18 eggs a day from 22 hens. Everyone else seems "healthy" but so did little Ollie, (the turken who just died). I found her in the nest this morning, her eyes closed, and when I picked her up to bring her in the "hospital" (my bathroom) I did notice she was breathing heavy, and kind of a wheezy sound, she let out a big puddle of black and yellow liquid, and I set her down. She was gone in less than an hour.
    Is there anything I can vaccinate with, or precautions to take? Is this part of winter in a chicken coop? Does this sound like a disease, the first one came in for a day, ate enthusiastically, and the next day died. This one was healthy, and just went.

2. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    I'm not sure, but since you did not have any replies.. I thought I would have a guess, was this yellow liquid like an egg yolk? Maybe she had an broken egg inside her that rotted? I'm not good with post mortem.. But since you only had 12-18 eggs a day, she could of had a block up?

I'm very sorry no one has replied, she could've been eggbound? Theres a whole bunch of stuff. Update me! Tell me how the others are.

Rob

3. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    Thanks for replying, I appreciate that. Don't know if any action is needed for the rest of the flock. As soon as it gets above zero, will try to clean the coop. And keep an eye on the rest.
    As I said, it means a lot that you answered, and I possibly expect too much.... I think of this site as a resource, people having experience sharing. So I hope I can become
    someone who has some experience, through trial and error to encourage, or share. And hopefully neither one of us has to worry about post-mortem diagnosis again!
    Heres to healthy, happy chickens! By the way, the rest seem fine, and I will speculate, I suspected an egg eater, and I did suspect it was her.... but she is gone and today I only got 10 eggs! Go figure.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry for your loss, and I wish I could tell you why they died but I don't know.. but about the egg eater, maybe upping their protein levels would help, try canned tuna rinse off salt, even canned salmon. yogurt, good quality cat food. scrambled eggs out side of the shell. Mealworms. feed this along with the regular feed your giving. and do you offer oyster shell? thats is also important..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by